Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Part time job

These days the amount of calls that you get on your cell phones from different insurance agents/banks have increased a lot.I bet most of them must have had a expirence with them..and iam pretty sure we would have coursed them a lot...

There was this particular call that I got some days back which reminded me of something....

Summer of 2004, It was during my BMS days....

2nd year of my bms ...time after college was something everyone looked forward for.On one hand there were all most of the college crowd who looked forward to hang out party around,go around with their girlfriends, go to swanky restaurants.On the other hand it was me.I was into a completely different role...After college I would become rakesh the insurance sales man.

Calling up people getting an appointment and selling them insurance products was something i did ..It was really funny the other people at work were really OLD and so was my boss...We shared a good good relation..for that matter i guess he dint have any choice as 2k's per month was the best deal he could get...
Ya ya i know you mite be thinking 2 k was very less..but common guys 3 hrs per day I was supposed to work and i could also get that occasional holiday...You know once where u call of work saying u are not well or you have some imp test/presentation at college...

My day there started with a nice refreshing tea or coffee with a nice sandwitch at office[2k's per month i had made up my mind to compensate for that in this way..and ne ways well arent we supposed to take advantage of stuff that we get free]

After my tummy was full I would get to work...One thing that I noted during my work there was there were certain fixed kinda people.I mean the response that I use to get was very much typical

Some were: sorry we dont need kinda people who refused to talk even for 2 min:

Some were: Doing TP people: these people spoke to long time only to say no for the offer at last:

Some where: [My fav batch - Girls ]: These were once whom i liked talking to [can you blame me for that  in the end "guys will be guys" wont they]
Ne ways it was always fun to talk to them and the best part was these people actually seemed interested in what i spoke and what i was trying to sell.

Ne ways that 2-3 months that I worked i spoke to people of all kind...and it was one heck of a experience...


Now when i get a call from such agents i make it a point that i dont hang up fone on their face.I politely say that iam not interested..
Its really funny how experiences forces you change you behavior to certain things



10 comments:

Wormy said...

NO NO.. U 're still the same. Khadoos!!
And now I know what all part-time jobs u do.
U only need an excuse to talk with gurls that too for Free!! But are you sure .. eh.. you spoke with gurls only?? err I mean no guys??
:P
Rock on Khadoos! \m/ yay

Fantasies of a Lifetime said...

ah , I always pitied the sales agents , a few of my co-workers vent out the anger on their boss on the unsuspecting sales agents. . .They go like , "Did I ask u to call , give me the number of your superior ? How did you get my number" . .all that at a pitch of about 1000hz!! :P . . . . & lol I gotto agree with shwetz , part-time job fiddlesticks , you just wanted to talk to girls :P

Rakesh said...

@ shwetzzz: Khadoos and me WTF...tingu when was I ever that re...me so a good fellow :-)
and talkin to girls well no comments :-P

@ think tank: can you blame me for doin that now na :-D

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Welcome back Rakesh, its been a while since!

Sales can be very tough and thankless....... respect you for having undertaken something so tough!

Cheers

Rakesh

peter said...

these calls are really annoying :(
I have faced so many of them and i cut it the moment i hear such thngs :P

Rakesh said...

hey rakesh: yes buddy was real busy with work like as weel as college so could visit blogs much..

@ Peter: yes u are rite

Nidz said...

hy rakesh i had similar kinda exp.
one question i wanna ask u is if the gals were only int in listening to ur talking or also bought the service??

I used to wrk for event management, some product promotion stuff. for 5-6 hrs we used to get 500 bucks..
its good as it used to be a day or two wrk. Once i happened to wrk for sports award. i gt to meet all the cricket team and even Shania Marja, Cyrus brocha, Dino moriya (excuse my spellings).. all i had to do was welcome the guests and show them the way.. it was like paid for nothing and even getting free pass for such event. one thing for sure is gals get more priority in these kinda work. For same wrk guys are paid less. Wht the hell!!

Rakesh said...

@ nidhi: at least u had the chance to meet people but i dit get that

ne ways about the wat the girls were interested about...y not keep that door unopened :-P

Anonymous said...

Excellent observation ;)

Rakesh said...

@ Ayushi: thanks ;-)